Auto Explorer window
The Auto Explorer window lets you control the unattended exploration of fractals.
To open the Auto Explorer window: On the Location menu, click Auto Explorer.
The autosave feature of the auto explorer allows Fractal eXtreme to find dozens of potentially interesting new areas while running unattended.
Autosave works by looking through the pixels of the fractal, in a random order, and finding one whose neighbours have substantially different iteration values, Fractal eXtreme then zooms in on this location. Because of the random ordering, you will get different results every single time.
Going from top to bottom the controls are:
- The Zoom increment setting specifies the number of zoom levels to skip after the current zoom image has been fully rendered. You can click the scroll arrows to select a new setting. Larger zoom increments cause the program to explore deeper levels more quickly.
- The Start setting is used to start or stop exploring the current fractal.
- When the Autosave setting is checked, and auto-exploring is started, a fractal image will be saved out to the specified name whenever the specified zoom level is reached.
- The Save zoom level control is where you specify how far Fractal eXtreme should zoom before saving the results and starting over.
- The Next name area is where you specify where to save the fractal images. An incrementing number just before the file extension will differentiate the files. You can specify the file name by typing it in or by using the browse button.
Note: In Advanced mode, this window is nonmodal, meaning you can switch among fractal windows while this window is open; the Exit button is then labeled Close.